- Wavelength - the distance between the crests of the wave.
- Amplitude - 1/2 of the height between the peak of the crest to the lowest portion of the trough.
- The amount of energy in the wave increases as the wavelength gets smaller and tighter.
- Micron = 1 millionth of a meter.
- Blackbody: a theoretical object that absorbs all of the electromagnetic energy that falls upon it.
- Radiometers measure radiation of different wavelengths in discrete intervals.
- Microwave radiometers have the ability to penetrate clouds, haze and smoke.
- All objects emit radiation in an amount that is related to the object's temperature and its ability to emit radiation.