Bell's Beer Bayview Mackinac Race
Experienced Mac sailors understand that developing a pre-race weather forecast and monitoring its evolution on the racecourse is an important strategic and safety aspect of participating in the Race. Misjudging the wind forecast can quickly send you to the back of your fleet, while failing to properly assess the risk for severe weather can unnecessarily jeopardize the safety of the crew.
- Managing Your Mac Forecast, an article on how to use the weather forecasting materials presented below (click here).
- Bell's Beer Bayview Mackinac Race Climatology, an article on the average marine weather conditions on Lake Huron during mid-July (click here)
Daily Weather Forecast
Beginning on Monday, July 17, 2017, a daily weather forecast for the Mac will be available here.
Weather Prediction Center (WPC) - Forecast imagery which shows the predicted location of high pressure systems, low pressure systems, along with their accompanying frontal boundaries. Clicking on an image opens a larger version in a new window. Click here to visit the Weather Prediction Center's home page.
The two NWS offices listed below maintain a Doppler radar station which covers a portion of Lake Huron. Click here for a map showing the location of the radar stations.
National Weather Service - Text Great Lakes Marine Forecasts
Wind/Wave Forecasting Resources
- LakeErieWX's Lake Huron Marine Weather Dashboard
- NWS Lake Huron marine weather forecast website.
- Great Lakes Forecasting System from the Great Lakes Research Laboratory (GLERL):
- NOAA WaveWatch III Forecast Model
- National Weather Service-NOAA Weather Radio
- Articles related to marine weather forecasting.
Mark A. Thornton